Application Deadline: Wednesday 31st March 2021 at 23:59.
Start Date: Monday 6 September 2021
Contact for Application Enquiries: Dr David Higgins
The Property, Planning and Policies Research Group would like to attract prospective PhD Students to the exciting Placemaking agenda. We invite applications in the following areas of research interest identified in our “Placemaking: Processes and Practices” report (1).
- How can we use digital technology to create sustainable places?
- Is prefabricated urban housing the future of new supply?
- How does energy efficiency affect property values and rents?
- Evaluating recent built environment heritage and urban form.
- How can the transition to urban sustainability effectively facilitated in light of rapid climate and environmental change?
- How can communities create and drive sustainable lifestyles locally?
- What role do communities play in designing the cities of the future?
- Can co-working space create long-term building owner returns?
Applicants are invited to submit a preliminary research proposal of up to 2000 words, fully referenced, clearly identifying their area of interest and a specific project within it, why it is important, and how they would research it. Projects linking any of these areas of interest would also be welcome.
- (1) See link: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/built-environment/research/property-planning-and-policies/publications/placemaking-report
Successful applicants will have graduated (or be due to graduate) with an undergraduate first-class degree and/or MSc distinction in a relevant real estate/planning subject. Applicants must also demonstrate good knowledge within the urban environment of the contemporary features such as connectivity, sustainability, generational change and governance.
How to apply:
To apply, please complete the project proposal form, ensuring that you quote the project reference, and then complete the online application where you will be required to upload your proposal in place of a personal statement as a pdf document.
You will also be required to upload two references, at least one being an academic reference and your qualification/s of the entry (Bachelor/Masters certificate/s and transcript/s).